I believe that God created the concept of “PERSEVERANCE” just for me, because HE always prepares me for all of my life’s circumstances, and supplies the power needed to confront them. I also believe that with every obstacle I overcome, I gain more power, and a better knowledge and understanding of GOD and HIS divine plan for me.
Perseverance is defined as the steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. This quality is one that I appreciate in myself, and it is a direct result of my Faith and Upbringing.
Romans 5:3-5 (NIV) offers the following insight on perseverance: “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
This magnificent commissioned sculpture (above) titled: “PERSEVERANCE:fbg” was created Artist Michael K. Taylor in 2012.
Perseverance:fbg is a layered metaphor of my life; representing both a physical map spanning childhood to adulthood, and a repetitive pattern of encountering and overcoming obstacles through FAITH. The relief sculpture is 6′ by 6′ x 2″ and stained on engraved oak wood, weighs over 100 pounds.
- The centered lines represent different stages of growth, while the depth of each line represents the significance of a particular moment.
- Lines intersecting the primary centered lines represent external struggles and oppositions.
- As a physical map, the circles in the upper right and lower left corners represent Tarboro, NC – the town of my birth, and Wadesboro, NC – the town of my life development. The family and community histories of those places reflect the philosophical perspective of my spiritual and family belief system.
- The 4 cardinal line points represent ways in which the belief system provides “guidance” and “direction” for my life, even though I no longer reside within the borders of its origin.
- The additional lines represent individual metaphors of my personal growth and challenges illustrating that the purpose of my life’s experience is to provide a testimony to God’s Omnipotent Power for the encouragement of humanity.
- Twin lines or lines carved into each other at different depths represent a “companion” during that part of my life.
- “Companion” lines may represent the Holy Spirit, a person’s spirit, a person, or knowledge passed down through generations, which served as comforting and guiding energy, and helped to strengthen my resolve.